Friday, March 4, 2011

Biblical Perspective of Childbirth

Last weekend Eric and I took a tour of the hospital where I will be having the baby. That experience, along with all the childbirth conversations my big belly tends to bring up these days, has reminded me how much unbiblical thinking often surrounds childbirth, even for Christians.

I am no theologian, but I thought I'd state a few clear Scriptural truths on the topic in case they're helpful for anyone:

1. Childbirth, while a natural part of life, has been directly effected by the Fall. Just like sickness and death effect people in other seasons of life, they can easily touch mom and baby in this season. How kind of God that many births don't involve either sickness or death. But we should remember that that is not always the case; God has given us no guarantee.

2. Doctors, hospitals, medication, and surgeries are the products of humanity and, as such, are effected by sin, limitations, and weakness. We should not expect them to be perfect.

3. At the same time, these same doctors, hospitals, medications, and surgeries are also major means of God's common grace to counteract sickness and death, and that's true in the area of childbirth just as much as it is on other areas.

4. In addition, pain during childbirth is specifically mentioned in Genesis as a part of the Curse. (For me, personally, this truth frees me from feeling the need to experience that pain unnecessarily.)

5. The goal during childbirth, just like during in any other life event, is to glorify God and care (physically, emotionally, spiritually) for those around us. What that means will look different in different situations, but we must keep that goal in mind so we're not distracted by worldly goals like the "ideal" birth, whatever that means to us.

2 comments:

  1. Is baby Grover going to come soon? Well, I mean, of course she is, but I mean.. how are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts on modern medicine not being in contrast to faith, but being an agent of common grace to counteract the curses and pain of sin. What a cool perspective! It reminds me of some of Grudem's discussion on common grace.
    So glad that Abigail's birth went as well as it did! We look forward to watching her grow up! It was great to see you all yesterday! Love, Matt, Mim, and Lydia!

    ReplyDelete