Friday, April 29, 2011

Mommy Inclusion

As we approach the end of the school year and make decisions about next year and the future, I've become increasingly aware that inclusion is not just an issue for William. Our preschool is small and has a strong sense of community. We go there everyday. The moms there know my life, they share my world. They are easy for me to relate to, and they relate to my kids easily.

A lot of people talk about the Christian bubble. I realized last week that I can be tempted to retreat into the special needs bubble. In fact, I often feel more comfortable with non Christian moms of special needs kids than I do with Christian moms of typical kids. I know that's understandable at a certain level, but it's something I definitely want to work on. A few initial ideas on how I can grow:

-Make Jesus and not life circumstances or season of life issues the primary topic of conversation with other Christian moms.

-Make Jesus a significant topic of conversation with non Christian special needs moms. After all, a lot of these ladies couldn't attend most churches (ours included) if they wanted to.

-Accept the fact that relating to people who are different than me (and helping our kids relate together) can be hard work, but it's worth it. Pray for God's help before planned interactions.

-Grow in knowing when and how to graciously explain differences to those we have ongoing relationships with. (Suggestions, anyone??)

Feel free to share other ideas or ask me how this is going.

1 comment:

  1. i think these are some great insights for the mom of any child. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete