Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Other Side of Disability

My personal experience with disability is at the front end. Almost all the special needs people I know personally are kids. It's their parents who are making decisions for them, and most of them have some sense of progress or hope for progress in the future.

There is another side to disability. My dear daddy has Parkinson's. For him, things are progressing in the opposite direction. It seems like all seniors, whether healthy or dealing with serious illness, face significant struggles or fears of struggles and disability as they age. For me, that's the distant future. But I want to learn from those who go before me so that I will have truth and example stored up in my heart when the time comes.

I follow a couple blogs, including Carolyn McCulley's Radical Womanhood blog. She just had a guest post from a lady who works in an Alzheimer's care unit. I thought it was worth passing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment