Saturday, August 20, 2011

Little Conversations

Sometimes the most significant interactions happen in short little conversations in the middle of doing life. Lily's starting to have these with me, which is so fun.

In the bathroom while getting ready in the morning:
Lily: Mommy, I can go on the potty.
Me: Yep.
Lily: I go on the potty all the time.
Me: Yes, you do.
Lily: William doesn't go on the potty.
Me: He's learning. You know, William's brain doesn't work right. Remember that book we read about the girl and her brother was in a race and his brain didn't work right?
Lily: Yeah, I remember that.
Me: Well, William is the same way. His brain doesn't work right. That's why he has trouble talking, and he's still learning to go on the potty. But that's ok, because we still love him. And he's trying his best, that's what matters, right?
Lily: Right.

While getting dinner:
Lily: Where's Daddy?
Me: He's at work.
Lily: Why don't you go to work?
Me: I work here at home.
Lily: Why?
Me: Because someone has to do the laundry and the grocery shopping and make the meals and take care of you guys.
Lily: I'm sure someone else could do that. You could find someone else to take care of us.
Me: Yeah, you're right. Someone else could do that. We could find someone else. But I want to be the one to watch you guys. You are so much fun, and I don't want to miss out!

All the stuff going on with Sovereign Grace right now reminds me of a little conversation I had in the kitchen with my dad when I was a little girl. Mama was making dinner and Daddy was talking to her about something about Billy Graham.
Me: Daddy, who's Billy Graham?
Daddy: He's a famous evangelist. He travels around the world telling people about Jesus.
Me: Do you wish you were a famous evangelist?
Daddy: No.
Me: Why not?
Daddy: It's really hard to be humble when you're famous. Billy Graham is amazingly humble even though he's famous, but if I was famous, I'm not sure I would do that.

That was a teachable moment that is still instructing me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment