Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Day the World Went Wacky

Another book arrived today that turns out to be an answer to prayer. For a while now I've been looking for a book that explains the Fall. I want to have it to share with kids, especially my own, as they become more aware of William's disabilities. I called Joni and Friends and they didn't know of any. I emailed Stephanie Hubach (author of Same Lake Different Boat) and she didn't know of one. I'd even thought about writing one myself. Then today one of the books I ordered for home school came, and it's the book I've been looking for!

The Day the World Went Wacky starts out,
"A little while back, I was eating my lunch
When I got out an apple and took a big crunch.
The next thing you know, I was in a big chair
With my mouth open wide and my feet in the air.

And just as the dentist put in a huge filling
(My ears were half deaf with the noise of the drilling),
A really hard question came into my brain,
And my really hard question was DID GOD MAKE PAIN?"

Author Janine Suter goes on to explain the Genesis account of the Fall and what it means for us today. She takes as much time to explain the effects of the Fall as to tell the story. She does a good job of explaining God's "riddle" about a coming Savior and how God sacrificed an animal ("Animals can't really pay for our sin, But Jesus' blood can, and this pointed to Him.") Her one page about "...into the world this sin has brought death, and cancer and pimples and shortness of breath..." is very similar to what I would have written myself, only better.

She doesn't talk as much about God's work of restoration through Jesus as I would have. But she does mention it at the end:
"Now no one can go and see Eden today,
Because Noah's Flood has washed it away.
But God has a plan to make everything new
For all those who love Him.
Does that include you?"

I'm excited to use this book when I do an orientation for the kids in his children's ministry class this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment